Friday, January 20, 2006

More Quick Updates

So I would love to write all about the crazy year that 2006 has turned out to be so far for me. The past two weeks, especially, have led to a lot of changes. But I think that within the next two or three weeks, things should stabilize. And then I'll be able to recount my situation.

I wanted to post a link to a New York Times Op-Ed piece that Paul Theroux wrote. I couldn't get to it on the NYTimes website without signing up, but I did find the article transcribed on a U2 website. Here you go. I have to say, I agree with almost everything that Theroux talks about. However, I personally think that Bono, and Bill&Melinda Gates are doing good things. It would always help to make sure that the money is better accounted for.... yeah, a lot of good-intentioned money going to Africa ends up in the hands of dictators and in some way serves to keep people oppressed. But that doesn't discount all of the immediate good that a lot of humanitarian aid to Africa does. I mean, if more money to fund some sort of AIDS relief center helps to provide some people ARVs but also lines the pockets of corrupt businessmen, I take that as an unfortunate side-effect. So lay off of Bono, Paul. But I love the Brad&Angelina as "Tarzan and Jane" analogy, though.